Frequently Asked Questions

Q: Are you closed for lunch?
A: No. We have staff available to assist customers from 7:30 a.m. – 4:00 p.m.

Q: Will you fax or email a copy to me?
A: No. Our office does not fax or email copies of documents.

Q: Can I obtain the book and page number of a document over the phone?
A: No. We do not give recording information over the phone.

Q: How do I look up records in the land records department?
A: There is an instruction sheet available at the counter. It explains basic search techniques on our computer system.

Q: Do you have marriage licenses for other counties?
A: No. Each county is responsible for their marriage records. It wasn’t until June 1958 that the Vital Statistics Office began centrally storing records for every county.

Q: How do I get a copy of a divorce decree?
A: Divorce records can be found in the Circuit Court where the divorce was granted. For a divorce filed in Kenton County contact the Kenton County Circuit Court at (859) 292-6576.

Q: Does the Kenton County Clerk’s Office have a list of foreclosures?
A: No. The Master Commissioner’s Office is responsible for the properties that are going to be auctioned. Please contact the Master Commissioner at (859) 431-1027 or

Q: Where/How do you transfer a mobile home?
A: Mobile homes are titled like vehicles. Mobile home transfers are completed in the Auto Department of the Kenton County Clerk.

Q: How do I find out how much I paid in real estate taxes last year?
A: The Kenton County Sheriff collects the current year tax bills through April 15th of each year.  Contact the Kenton County Sheriff at (859) 392-1882 or online at  If the tax bill was delinquent (paid after April 16th), contact our office at (859) 392-1650 or search online at

Q: Who do I contact if I feel that my property tax assessment is incorrect or I want to claim a homestead or disability exemption?
A: The Kenton County Property Valuation Office is in charge of property assessments. Contact the PVA at (859) 392-1750 or

Q: How do I get a business license?
A: The Kenton County Occupational License office is responsible for issuing business licenses. Contact the Occupational Office at (859) 392-1440.  For a listing of other services and additional information for the County Occupational Office go to

If you are inquiring about a vendor’s license then contact the County Clerk’s office at 859-392-1650.

Q: Will your office help me prepare my documents or do you have blank forms?
A: The Kenton County Clerk’s Office cannot help you prepare any document nor do we have blank forms. The documents that are brought here for recording must be completely filled out prior to recording.

Q: Do you record a health care power of attorney or living will?
A: No. There is no statutory authority for us to record either of those documents and there is an Attorney General’s opinion that instructs us not to record them.

Q: When will you hold the annual tax sale?
A: Go to to see the schedule of all the Kentucky counties’ tax sales.