Notary Public Commissions are processed at the Covington location at 1840 Simon Kenton Way, Covington, KY
Notary Public commissions are valid for four (4) years and is governed by KRS 423.010.
Who can be a notary? The following requirements must be met:
- Must be eighteen (18) years or older
- Be a citizen or permanent legal resident of the United States
- Be a resident of or have a place of employment or practice in the county within this Commonwealth where the application is made;
- Be able to read and write English;
- Not be disqualified to receive a commission under KRS 423.395;
- Submit to the Secretary of State any application forms, information, disclosures, and verifications as are required by administrative regulations promulgated by the Secretary of State;
- Submit to the Secretary of State proof of having obtained the requisite surety bond required under KRS 423.390(4);
- Take an oath of office as set forth in KRS 423.390(4)
How can I become a notary?
- Visit the Secretary of State’s website to complete the application. A form signed by the County Clerk is no longer required. The fee for application at the Secretary of State’s Office is $10.00.
- Once approved, the applicant will be notified that a “Certificate of Appointment” has been made available to the county clerk’s office in the applicant’s county. The notice will indicate a thirty (30) day time period for the applicant to go to the county clerk’s office.
- The applicant must come to the Covington location at 1840 Simon Kenton Way, Covington, KY to be sworn in. The notary must provide government issued ID and $1,000 insurance bond. There is a $19.00 recording fee ($10.00 for recording the bond, $4.00 for taking/preparing the bond, and $5.00 for administering the oath. KRS 64.012)
- As of January 1, 2020, the surety bond for $1,000.00 must be from an approved insurance company. Check with the insurance agency of your choice to request notary bond information.
Need to upgrade your notary to electronic/remote online notary? You must apply with the Secretary of State’s Office. You can contact the Secretary of State’s Office at (502) 564-3490 or visit www.sos.ky.gov.
Need to change your name? You must apply with the Secretary of State’s Office. You can contact the Secretary of State’s Office at (502) 564-3490 or visit www.sos.ky.gov.