Notary Public commissions are valid for four (4) years and is governed by KRS 423.010.
Who can be a notary? The following requirements must be met:
- Must be eighteen (18) years or older
- Be a citizen or permanent legal resident of the United States
- Be a resident of or have a place of employment or practice in the county within this Commonwealth where the application is made;
- Be able to read and write English;
- Not be disqualified to receive a commission under KRS 423.395;
- Submit to the Secretary of State any application forms, information, disclosures, and verifications as are required by administrative regulations promulgated by the Secretary of State;
- Submit to the Secretary of State proof of having obtained the requisite surety bond required under KRS 423.390(4);
- Take an oath of office as set forth in KRS 423.390(4)
How can I become a notary?
- Visit the Secretary of State’s website to complete the application. A form signed by the County Clerk is no longer required. The fee for application at the Secretary of State’s Office is $10.00.
- If approved, the applicant will be notified that a “Certificate of Appointment” has been made available to the county clerk’s office in the applicant’s county. The notice will indicate a thirty (30) day time period for the applicant to go to the county clerk’s office.
- The applicant must come in to the county clerk’s office to be sworn in. The notary must provide government issued ID. There is a $19.00 recording fee ($10.00 for recording the bond, $4.00 for taking/preparing the bond, and $5.00 for administering the oath. KRS 64.012)
- A surety bond in the amount of $1,000.00 is required. As of January 1, 2020, only a bond from an approved insurance company is allowed. Check with the insurance agency of your choice to request notary bond information.
Beginning in January of 2020, a notary public state-at-large may also apply to the Secretary of State’s Office to be an electronic notary or remote online notary. Please contact the Secretary of State’s Office for details, (502) 564-3490 or visit their website.
Effective 1/1/20 Fees effective 8/1/06