The registration books close 28 days before each election. You must be registered in the county where you live prior to that time in order to vote.

You may register to vote or update your registration information in the following ways:

On Line at

In person at any of these agencies:

  • The County Clerk’s office at 1840 Simon Kenton Way, Covington, KY
  • The Driver’s License office
  • K-TAP, Food Stamp, Medicaid, WIC, and state funded offices serving those with disabilities, if you are a client of these offices
  • Armed Forces Recruitment offices

By mail

  • ¬†Download a Voter Registration Card and submit your completed card to: KENTON COUNTY CLERK, P.O. Box 1109, Covington, KY 41011

To register to vote:

  • You must be a U.S. citizen and a Kentucky resident.
  • You must be registered in the county where you live 28 days before the election.
  • You must be at least 18 years of age on or before the date of the next general election.
  • You must not be a convicted felon, or if you have been convicted of a felony, your civil rights must have been restored by executive pardon.
  • You must not have been judged mentally incompetent in a court of law.
  • You must not claim the right to vote anywhere outside of Kentucky.

Party Designation for May Primary

Kentucky has closed party primaries, which means you must register as a Democrat or a Republican to be eligible to vote in your party’s primary in May. If you choose to register with a political group or organization, or as an Independent, you cannot vote in the partisan primaries, but you may vote in all nonpartisan primaries. These include urban county mayor, urban county council, school board, soil and water conservation, and all judicial offices.

You may change your political party affiliation anytime between the primary and December 31st to be eligible to vote in your new party’s next primary. If you change your affiliation anytime between January 1st and the date the registration books close for the primary, you will only be eligible to vote in the nonpartisan primaries.

Civil Rights Restoration

To check eligibility for restoration of civil rights please go to or call the Department of Corrections at 502-564-4360